Quontic, a growing federally chartered digital bank is currently seeking a qualified on-site DE Mortgage Underwriter to join our lending operations team in either Astoria or Melville, New York. The seasoned candidate we seek will make timely & accurate credit decisions & possess strong verbal & written communication skills. Candidates must have a thorough understanding of underwriting policies & procedures, as well as investor guidelines & regulatory updates including knowledge of FHA, VA, FNMA, & FMLMC guidelines.
- Receive mortgage applications & underwrite applications as per designated limits;
- Must analyze income & employment detail of the borrower to determine the ability of the borrower to repay the mortgage loan;
- Evaluate asset documentation from which the applicant’s funds seem to be originating;
- Review the borrower’s credit report & credit rating to determine the ability of the borrower to repay; the loan after analyzing the borrower’s prior payment history;
- Review the appraisal & check if it has been valued properly to warrant the loan requested from the bank;
- Candidates must have manual underwriting experience & be familiar with LP & DU underwriting & have a thorough knowledge of complex tax returns/financial statements;
- Prepare FHA files for FHA insurance endorsement;
- Respond to any & all FHA technical reviews;
- Proficient knowledge of complex tax returns/financial statements;
- Be available to processors & correspondents for general guideline interpretations & questions on specific loan files;
- Proficient in all aspects of underwriting including property, credit, & income evaluation;
- Work effectively with processing, funding, & sales managers to achieve goals & objectives.
- 5 years of underwriting experience required;
- Must have current knowledge of TRID;
- FHA DE approval from HUD preferred;
- Proficient in all aspects of underwriting including property, credit & income evaluation;
- Must have analytical & auditing skills as well as a firm grasp on math;
- Must have knowledge pertaining to the regulations governing mortgage lending;
- In depth understanding of FHA, FNMA, FHLMC requirements, policies, & guidelines;
- Must have experience in automated underwriting systems & FHA systems;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a fast paced, deadline driven environment;
- Excellent computer skills, customer service & communication skills.
What We Offer
- Competitive base salary and semi-annual bonus incentives;
- Comprehensive benefits package;
- Unlimited growth opportunity.